All the "stuff" | Productivity | Small biz resources
14 May 2021
It’s almost the end of the day, and it seems like you have barely scratched the surface of all of the stuff you needed to get done. Naturally, you start to stress and replay your day in your head wondering where all the time went. If this is you, one way to combat this cycle is to have an organized business.
So get organized! Okay… easier said than done. What you need is a place to start when it comes to getting your business organized and more efficient. We have put together some of the best tips to try that will help get your “stuff” together and find more time in your day.
1. Organize Your Documents
Whether your business is paperless, analog, or a combination of both; documents are at the most risk for causing clutter and disarray.
A filing system is one of the best ways to create some organizational flow within your business. If you don’t have one or you are using a system that is not keeping up with your needs, it’s time to rebuild!
- Go through your existing documents and discard old or irrelevant files that are no longer needed.
- Create categories that are clear and concise. For example, “Client X,” “Payroll,” “Scheduling,” and so on.
Creating categories ensures that every document has a place. This will allow for easy access, less clutter, and less stress when you are trying to find information.
2. Make Your Computer Work for You
As you may be well aware, it doesn’t take long for your computer to become overwhelmed with clutter.
Your computer should act like a partner in your business and it must be reliable and quick “thinking”. To keep your computer working at its best for your business, you can:
- Create folders for the clutter on your desktop
- Keep your software up to date and install virus protection. Here are a few good ones.
- Delete all those unnecessary files that are taking up storage
- Back up your files for the greatest reassurance that you’ll save your important files
These are a few things that you can do to make sure that your computer is working for you instead of against you. You don’t need all that clutter and mess, so take the time to get it organized. You’ll thank yourself later when you are saving time and energy on a daily basis!
Tip: If you use Google Drive, download the Charli app and let it do the filing for you. Charli uses AI to “read” your documents and understand what they’re all about. It sets up a filing system and files everything in its proper place.
3. Set 30 Minutes for Organization Each Week
Schedule 30 minutes each week for uninterrupted organizing time.
That might not seem like a lot of time in the grand scheme of things, but that is the best part of this practice! Spend a little time each week to go through emails, file documents, or clean up your workstation, you will see a big difference in the long term.
4. Use To-Do Lists
A to-do list can help you when you are gathering and prioritizing your tasks. What is going to be key for you when using a to-do list, is to actually stick to it! It’s easy to write everything down but the only way that it is going to work for you is to stay true to completing it. You can start by:
- Compile everything that needs to get done. This doesn’t need to be in any particular order, get everything jotted down so you can visualize the work.
- Order the tasks by priority; the priority factor should include thought about the deadline and amount of time needed to complete it.
- Add in the small things too! There is no rule for a task to be considered worthy of making the to-do list.
- Make a list for long-term and short-term tasks. Separating these items will give you less to worry about at one time!
- Create your to-do list for the next day; when you start your day you will always know what you need to do.
A to-do list will be your best friend when it comes to business organization. To reap all the benefits of an organized business, you have to be intentional about your day!
5. Take Advantage of a Calendar
Using a calendar can also incorporate other business organization practices into it. One way is to take that to-do list that you are so fond of now and block off times on your calendar to get that stuff done. Write down how much time it takes you to complete your differing tasks and mark them down!
You will see a huge difference in how much you are able to get done once you start designating times for your to-dos. Getting either an online or paper calendar (yes they still make paper options), is going to not only show you what to get done in your day but also all that extra time you will have after using these tips!
- An online calendar can be useful for scheduling. Because it can be modified and updated, you can:
- Schedule online meetings
- Set aside time for tasks
- Communicate when you will be out of the office or away from your computer
- Remind yourself of any important deadlines
Using a paper calendar can help with scheduling long-term goals and events. This option also gives you the satisfaction of checking off each day as “complete!”
6. Keep Track of your Time
We mentioned that there is a limited amount of time in a day, and you shouldn’t have to use all your time to work. Scheduling your day and tracking your time keeps you focused and productive. When you know how long your tasks will take, you can budget enough time to get your tasks done!
7. Schedule Time for Deep Strategy Work
Running a business can feel like being on a hamster wheel that never stops spinning. So how do you actually make sure your business is growing and meeting all of your objectives? It’s important to schedule purposeful strategy time. You can either use this time to measure against goals, do some deep thinking about your business, or even just use this time to finally read that business strategy article you saved last month. Freeform thinking time is just as crucial to your business growth as being organized in all of your other tasks, don’t treat this like it’s optional. Block off one hour at least once a month.
Charli.ai Helps with Business Organization
We know how stressful it can be when you are trying to juggle what seems like a million things at once. Let us help you save some of that hair-pulling frustration and try these tips on how to organize your business. Get back on track and find more time by using Charli.ai to help you as your online business assistant.