All the "stuff" | Productivity
02 September 2021
Do you work in a business that offers a variety of different products? If so, then you’ve probably spent time thinking about what you can do to better manage the inventory that you have to create a seamless experience both for you and your customers. Figuring out how to keep track of inventory can be tricky, but thanks to modern technology and inventory tracking apps, it’s never been easier.
Although they’re a new development in the world of business, inventory tracking apps have already made quite the name for themselves in terms of the impact they’ve had on the world of business. Read on to learn more about how inventory tracking systems work and see what our picks are for the best simple inventory apps available now!
How Do Inventory Tracking Apps Work?
So how exactly do inventory management apps work? They are designed to help you and your small business manage and keep track of your inventory in an easy and efficient way, which will save you time and money in the long run.
Here’s a basic rundown of what you can expect from any inventory tracking app:
- First, you’ll scan the barcode on the product or item you’re selling. The app will collect the data of this item and store it in a data bank for you and your business to find. This will connect with your POS system so that any time a purchase is made, the database will update accordingly.
- This database will be the home for all sorts of information about your product, including the remaining stock of items. The app can then generate notifications whenever you need more of that product. This is an incredibly valuable resource for helping you to avoid stock shortages and backorders, which will keep your business running smoothly.
- Believe it or not, an inventory tracking app is much more accurate than manual data entry. No matter how thorough a human is, there’s always that slight chance of human error, which can set your business back a considerable amount. An app can more accurately count for all your products and reduce the amount of inventory that is missed.
- Inventory tracking apps are mobile, which means that any member of your business or organization can access the database and relay information to one another. This leads to less confusion and a more comprehensive picture of the state of your inventory across your entire business.
- You can also use the software found in these inventory tracking systems to generate reports based on previous inventory data. This feature can help you plan for the future while also analyzing trends in demand for different products. A feature like this directly impacts your business and allows you to adjust and make changes towards becoming a more profitable company. (Learn more about other ways you can make for a more profitable business in this blog post!)
6 Best Inventory Apps
Choosing the best inventory app comes down to what your small business requires in order to be successful, functional and profitable. Here are our picks for six of the best inventory apps that work for a wide variety of small businesses!
Sortly’s claim to fame is that they’re the “simplest inventory software for business and teams to stay on top of their stuff.” It’s an incredibly intuitive software that gives the user a visual aid within the tracking system. The app has a beautiful design and is incredibly effective, which is why big names like HP and Lyft trust it.
Sortly is also customizable for each company, meaning you can tailor the app to best fit your business, regardless of what you sell. You can do things such as track items with QR codes or barcodes, automatically stay on top of stock levels and manage your inventory on any computer, tablet, iOS or Android device. If you’re looking for a connected and comprehensive experience, this simple inventory app is for you.
Inventory Now was designed to be a “lightweight replacement for or a supplement to a high end Point of Sale System.” This app makes adding new products incredibly easy, and it allows you to track your products throughout their entire life cycle — you can see what you have for sale, what you have sold and what you need to ship out, all in one place.
Available for iOS, this app is also customizable and can be tailored to best fit the needs of your small business — all from your Apple devices. You can do everything from creating orders to collecting payments within the app, making it an all-inclusive solution.
If your business has multiple products that fall under different categories, then you’ll love the features you can get out of Stock Control. Stock Control’s main selling point is your ability to manage your items based on comprehensive groups, which can make things much easier for you if you have a wide array of different products.
You can also use the app to conceptualize and hierarchize your categories and places of storage, and then by using the built-in search tools, you can retrieve your items and their locations easily. This is a great solution for businesses that utilize a massive warehouse and have trouble finding what they’re looking for.
SOS Inventory gives you a complete inventory, order management and manufacturing solution. It provides you with the ability to integrate with QuickBooks, which can be very helpful for any business that runs their operations through that, as it is the perfect complementary solution to the things that QuickBooks can and cannot do.
You can also use SOS Inventory to do things such as track the cost history of your products so that you can get a better idea of your profits and plan for the future. It’s a program designed to save you time and money by reducing any duplicate data entry, and you can use those savings to go directly towards your bottom line.
Zoho is built to help you run a more efficient business throughout the entire process. It provides you with multi-warehouse management capabilities, invoicing solutions, SKU generation, packaging and shipping planning and much more, making it an all-inclusive solution for your inventory tracking needs.
Zoho is perfect for any business that uses multiple warehouses and needs real-time data for each of those warehouses. It helps you to sync your data and manage your financial information within seconds, making it an incredibly valuable platform for your business.
If you are just starting up and need an inventory management app solution that is completely free, then Stockpile is what you’re looking for. Not only is this app 100% free to use, but you can also use unlimited users for your account, meaning you can easily build a comprehensive team atmosphere within the system.
While some of the features are limited, this app is leaps and bounds ahead of any manual data entry solution, which is why it’s become so popular with startups in the past few years. It’s affordable and effective and is designed to give you back valuable time that you can then use to focus on your business.
Organize Your Files with Charli
If you’re working with a company that manages a large amount of inventory, you likely have a lot of corresponding files that go along with this inventory information. If that’s the case, you’ll likely want a system that can help you to organize and manage these files in a way that works for you. That’s where Charli can help. Charli can help you to organize and manage all of your content in one place so that you end up with a more efficient and effective digital workspace. Learn more about how Charli can help your small business today and then check out this blog post to learn more about how to be more productive within your small business!